Sorry I haven't posted much in a few days. I had a really scary Saturday and have not seemed to find any words yet. On Saturday, I was home alone with Ryland for lunch. We sat down to eat a normal lunch. Ryland was eating peas, plum and cheese. She has eaten plum on numerous occasions and never had a problem with it. I cut the skin off and cut into small pieces. But this day for some reason she couldn't handle it. I don't know if she was too hungry or if she put too many pieces in her mouth before I could sit down or if one was just too big for her.
She choked. Not just the choke and cough it up kind of choke, but the full on - can't breathe - face turning purple choke.
In a split second, her life (and mine) flashed before my eyes. I panicked. For what seemed like a really long time I didn't do anything. I have not read up on giving the Heimlich to a child over one year of age, but I did remember the baby Heimlich (kind of). I didn't know if I should call 911 first and then try to get the object out or start getting the object out because I probably did not have time for 911 to respond. I thought about running out to the street and screaming for help. I did scream for help... but I think I was screaming at God.
I turned her over, her face in my hands and gave her back a few hard blows. I remember telling myself to hit her harder. I was scared to hit her hard, but I knew I needed to. I think I hit her 4 or 5 times before yelling at God again. It wasn't working. She was turning purple.
I ran with her into the kitchen where my phone was to call 911 and I tried hitting her a few more times. This time she began to cry. She was breathing. She was scarred. Me knees gave way and we both fell to the kitchen floor. I held on to her for a good 15 mins before I began to break down. I tried calling Kyle and he didn't answer. I called my mom and she let me completely break down and cry it out. She was so great in that moment and calmed me down.
For the past two days I have found myself crying a lot more then usual. I cry every time I retell the story to someone. I cry when I put Ryland to sleep. I cry when she wakes up and says "Hi Momma!" when I walk into her room.
This was by far the scariest thing that has ever happened to me and in so many ways I feel like I failed. I'm her mom. I'm the one supposed to be preventing these types of things from happening. I'm supposed to know what she can and can not eat. I failed. I know, in the moment, God helped me save her life... but I still feel like it was my fault. I know all of this goes back to the post I wrote a few days ago. I obviously am still unable to let go. I wanted to. I really wanted to and thought I was getting close and then this happened. Now I am holding on to her as tight as I can.
13 hours ago

5 comments:
Hi Sherah,
Your post has us humbled... your little angel is so blessed to have you as her Mommy. You were her hero and you saved her life when she needed you. You did EVERYTHING right... and we salute you on being a terrific mom in terrifying times.
Gene & Julie
Morning Show Hosts
The New 103.7 Lite FM
Oh sweetie. There is NOTHING more terrifying than the thought of something happening to your child. You were really brave and did what you had to do -- including crying out to your Father to help you. I'm so proud of you and so VERY VERY thankful to God! For both of you. For all of you. Please don't feel like you failed -- no matter how hard we try there is NO way we can be everywhere and know everything that's happening and do everything right. That's why every day we have to just fall at His feet and beg for His help and put our children in His hands. You're right. VERY HARD. And some days it's almost impossible :) But there is NOONE who loves you and who loves Ryland more than the one who created you both. I am reminded with this post how much we all need Him just to get through the day and how outrageously blessed we are to have the family that we have. I'm so glad your Mama was there when you needed her -- she's wonderful and I love her:) OK, I'm an emotional wreck right now and ONCE AGAIN......crying at work. Gotta go! Love you all more than you can know (although I think you know more now than you did before you had Ryland!:) Have a blessed day, my precious daughter.
So scary! I'm glad everything is okay now. You did a great job staying as calm as possible and using your rescue knowledge. Praise God for His goodness to help you and Ryland. Hope you have a much better week! Love ya!
Hi Sherah,
I'm so sorry you had to experience something so scary. Your are an awesome mom, and I'm so glad you were there for her.
The reminders of the fragility of life are such a powerful lesson, but so hard to live through and re-live each day we are reminded of them. I am so grateful that you stayed so level headed and got Ryland back in great shape. I will be praying for you as you process the sweet gift of life that has been given to us so richely. Love you!
Post a Comment