Monday, March 2, 2009

Weekends and Winners

OK, so since only 3 of you named that photo and all 3 of you made me giggle, it was a 3 way tie! :) Thanks for playing!

So, this weekend I gained a little bit of inspiration! Kyle and I have a little extra money coming in right now so we are really trying to think of what the best way to spend it is. Of course our first thoughts are buying new clothes and going out to eat, but really... that is how we would spend our money? A side from some jeans that Kyle needs, we don't need clothes. What we really need to do is spend some money on our house. Since we have decided to stay here, I want to do a few things to make it better for us.

So, we spent a good part of yesterday afternoon walking around Home Depot looking for ideas. It was really good for us to just go down every isle and talk about our options and goals we would like to achieve in this house. I think since we have been on such a TIGHT budget for the past year and a half, we never really talked about things we could do to the house... we just prayed that nothing would HAVE to be done. We made it through without having to spend any big money on the house thus far, so I am thankful! It was fun to dream yesterday. We talking about how we would fix the planter in the front of the house, what we would like to do to the kitchen someday, how to improve on our limited closet space, putting in a new front door, new garage door, and so much more.

In a couple of weeks, Ryland and I are going on vacation to Albuquerque. We will be there for two weeks and Kyle will be joining us for a few days at the end of our trip. But, while we are gone, Kyle's dad offered to come down for a few days and help Kyle with some projects around the house!!! This is so exciting for me.... you see Kyle has a slight motivation issue. I mean, he does fine when he is in a time crunch or when something must be done, but as far as gaining motivation to spend his day off doing 'projects' around the house he does not find appealing and lacks the motivation to do them. Sometimes I feel like a nag, when I constantly ask "what his plans are for the day" or "would he mind doing _____" so, the idea of his dad coming down is a great way to motivate him! It's a time crunch to get as much done while he is here and before we come home as he can! So, thanks Dwain, I'm excited!

One thing we did do while we were there was purchase quite a few large plastic bins. I feel like our house is just full of STUFF and I am really tired of it. So, I am spring cleaning! I have taken over the garage (basically, given up hope that we will ever park in there) and claimed it as my storage unit. I am moving furniture, clothes, books, anything that is not being used, into the garage into clear plastic bins. There is will stay until we need it again. I just need space in our house, and this was the only way I could achieve that!

So wish me luck and motivation as I begin this spring cleaning project! Kyle also, hung a large shelf in the laundry room (dryer room, really), and that has already made a huge difference for me! Maybe you will be getting some pictures along the way of the organization process.

3 comments:

Amy Dawn said...

Good luck on home repairs and fixes! It is so fun to start working on your house because it makes it really feel like yours. I hope your inspiration will lead to motivation and will get little things done to make the not moving a decision you are happy you made!

Anonymous said...

I'm sending Dad down by himself! A total "guy time" where they can fight and screw up and not read instructions and eat at weird times and go back to Lowe's 12 times for stuff they forgot and be totally illogical and show a complete lack of common sense -- all without me nagging about any of it!! And in the end, they WILL accomplish their goals and wonderful things WILL get done!! It's just better if I'm not around to see the process............ :):):) Life is such an adventure!

Anonymous said...

PS -- I'd like to see the plastic bins that you put your furniture in!!!! Hee hee! Yes, I need to get a life and quit critiqueing your blog!! LOVE YOU!!

What's On My Food

Find out what's on your food at: whatsonmyfood.org