“Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trail, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love Him. Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am being tempted by God,” for God cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempts no one. But each person is tempted when it is lured and enticed by his own desire. Then desire when is has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death.” James 1:12-15
After reading this passage the word when jumped right off the page at me. I think it’s so important to notice that is does not say if or maybe, it says when. As a matter of fact, you will be tested, you will be tempted and you will fail. Not a matter of if… a matter of when.
Most of us know this to be true. We have experienced great heartache or strife that we have overcome and it has strengthened our relationships with the Lord. But that is kind of looking at the process of “when” as my pastor would say “at 30,000 feet.”
Lets look at this “at ground level” for a moment. Today I have been tested. Today I have been tempted. Today I have failed. Some days I will not completely fail, but most days I will. I am but filthy rags (Isaiah 64:6). It’s a strange process, the process of sanctification, but through the weeds and the mud of my life, the more I press into the Lord… I actually begin to see more weeds and more mud.
I catch myself almost on a daily basis needing to repent for my desires. I press into the Lord and then sinfully rationalize what He might do for me if I do this for Him. What shame there is in that. On a daily basis that is what I am laying at His feet. That I might know Him more, for the sake of His glory. Not for any other purpose. Not that He might strengthen my marriage. Not that my children would be good adults. Not that I would become a better person. Just, solely, completely for the purpose of His glory. That I might press into Him, simply because He has asked us to.
That when I am tested, when I am tempted, that when I fail, I will continue to run to the cross. That I would see my failures everyday, that they would not cause shame, but that they would cause me to run harder and faster to the cross. That His promises will be fulfilled.
“For his anger is but for a moment, and his favor is for a lifetime. Weeping may terry for the night, but joy comes with the morning.” Psalms 30:6

No comments:
Post a Comment