Sunday, August 16, 2009

Baby-Wearing Help!!!

Baby-wearing is something that I did a lot with Ryland and this I will do a LOT more with Brenley. I just think it will be so much easier on everyone to wear Brenley while I am chasing after Ryland, whether we are out and about or just around the house. So, the question... which sling/wrap/carrier do I purchase?!?!? I am actually really stressing about this, which might seem silly, but its a lot of money and I feel like I need to decide on one and stick with it. My sweet in-laws gave us the money to buy the Ergo Carrier, which is what I thought I totally wanted, but now I am not so sure. So, the money sits here waiting for me to make a decision. Please help!!! If you have been a baby-wearer or know someone who is... I would like any and all input!!! Here are the possible choices I have:

This is the Moby Wrap. I have heard great things about this wrap. But to be honest, I was a little intimidated by the wrapping effect and how difficult that might be. But, after watching the how-to videos, I think I could get the hang of it rather fast. The thing that I like about this option in that it distributes the weight a little more evenly then the one-sided sling. There are also tons of different ways to wear the baby.

There is actually another version of this wrap that I like better then the Moby, but for some reason I can't post the picture for it. It is more affordable and a lot cuter. It is made by Lovey Duds and probably my #1 choice at the moment.


This one is a reversible sling from the Small Wish Etsy Shop. I can customize the fabric... which I LOVE. It is just like the popular Hot Sling, but more affordable. This is the cheapest of the choices and one that I know I am already comfortable with. My mom gave me a sling to carry Ryland with and I LOVED it. Although, after wearing it when she got a little bigger I realized that it did not stretch much and had an ribbon to tie instead of being one continuous ream of fabric. I will definitely use the one I have with Brenley when she is small, but I might want an option like this to use when she gets bigger.


This is the ERGObaby Carrier. It was my first choice. But now I am not so sure. The great thing about this one is, its pretty much the only one in the running that is gender neutral which means Kyle might actually use it. It also can be used as a back carrier, which might be very nice.
OK.... so.... I NEED your HELP!!! Please tell me your thoughts. I am giving myself the deadline of this Friday, 8/21/09, to make the decision... so get to commenting!!! Thanks!

4 comments:

The Robinson Family said...

We have the Ergo with the infant insert and have really enjoyed it. Personally, wraps felt too complicated for me. We like the support of the Ergo for the wearer and that our little one can sit sideways instead of straddled. The other reason we got it was because Dusty would be willing to wear it also--and it's so easy to adjust between us each time. Plus there are multiple ways to wear it as your little one grows.

I actually thought about getting a wrap this time around but every time I try them out, they just seem like a lot of work for me and just not "my fit" so I think I'm going to stick with my Ergo.

You are so close! Hang in there!

Nini said...

I read your entire post. I'm so interested in everything you post, always!! I really did read it all. And I really am COMPLETELY IGNORANT on this subject!! Wish I could help. Oh wait--I guess I did help. I wrote a check ;) That makes me feel better.....along with being called "sweet in-laws" in your blog :P YES!!! You are the sweet daughter-in-law and wonderful mother of my intensely sweet grand-daughter(s) and I love you all! Good luck figuring out this burning question!! XOXO

Susan said...

Hey lady! I have a sling and a Moby. The Moby was good when Mo was a little guy, it really did distribute the weight better, but when he got bigger neither of us could get comfortable in it. I really want the Ergo the next time around, I saw a lady wearing it around Target with an older child and it was working great!
Hope that helps a little. Let us know what you decide!

Sally said...

I have an ergo and a wrap and a sling. I only used my sling for a few weeks, then I moved onto the wrap. I loved my wrap and used it until she was too heavy for the fabric and it kept stretching. Then I moved onto the ergo. I think if you are planning on carrying a small or newborn baby I would steer away from the ergo. While it was great for long walks and carrying a bigger baby. I didn't find it friendly for carrying a little newborn around the house while I worked etc. The wrap was fantastic for this purpose and I could face little miss sticky beak outwards which you can't do in the ergo.
Here is a link to a short post I wrote on my carriers a long time ago.
http://jessinthegarden.blogspot.com/2008/06/sling-pappose-or-carrier.html

What's On My Food

Find out what's on your food at: whatsonmyfood.org