Thursday, February 4, 2010

Food Inc.

Just watched Food Inc. the other day and I think it is safe to say that it has changed my view (and probably our budget) on food for good! I am shocked at all that we don't know about what it is that we eat and how much of it is not actually food anyway. I am now on the hunt to buy local foods. If you have any tips I would love them, I am kind of at a loss of where to start and how far to take this thing.

Yikes!

FYI - Did you know that Chipotle is doing their part in serving Food With Integrity? Go to their site and read all about it!

2 comments:

Nathalie said...

Andrew and I also watched Food Inc. a couple of weeks ago. It is SHOCKING what is in our food!! Do you have a Sprouts near you? There is one by church I know and one by our house. They buy from local growers and have "whole foods" but the prices are awesome! We buy boneless/skinless chicken there (no antibiotics in it) for $1.88/lb when it is on sale. We haven't seen a huge difference in our budget. Anyway...would love to talk about this more with you. We have been really into it since seeing that documentary.

Sarah said...

Hi, I'm a friend of Susan's and came from her page when I saw your blog title for Food, Inc. We had just watched it the night before and I was VERY curious to see what you had to say! Anyway, we too try to eat as much locally grown and organic food as possible without breaking the bank! One of the most helpful things for us has been buying from a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) farm here in Albuquerque. It's called Los Poblanos-maybe you've heard of it? It's $28 dollars a week and you receive an entire box that will feed a family of 4! All of the produce is organic and grown locally (or close by) depending on the time of year! It's awesome and I can't say enough about it! And if you're wondering about the quality of the produce, well, the same growers that are supplying Whole Foods are filling your box and for a fraction of the cost! So if you're here in Abq-here's the link for Los Poblanos: http://www.lospoblanosorganics.com/

In case you're not, here's a site where you can enter your state and zip code and search for CSA's in your neck of the woods:
http://www.localharvest.org/csa/

Hope that helps!

What's On My Food

Find out what's on your food at: whatsonmyfood.org